As part of our 31 Picture Books For Homeschooling All Ages series, we have chosen kids’ books with vivid language, interesting stories and striking artwork to appeal to every person in your family. Butterfly Eyes and Other Secrets of the Meadow is one of our favorites!
Each book post also includes a few activities — some simple, some more involved — for your entire family to enjoy together. Or not! Reading the book is enough in itself if that is all you want to do.
Snuggle up and enjoy a picture book or two together as a family. It may be the highlight of your day.
Butterfly Eyes And Other Secrets Of The Meadow Picture Book Details
Author: Joyce Sidman
Illustrator: Beth Krommes
Normally I am not a fan of free verse poetry, as I find it choppy and hard to read aloud to my kids. However, Joyce Sidman has a special way of creating cadence and rhyme in non traditional patterns to create beauty with words. Words I can read aloud with ease.
In Butterfly Eyes, the riddles are combined with short snippets of non-fiction to create the perfect companion to a nature study of meadows and fields.
The riddles are easy enough for the smallest reader but the information will be interesting to all. I learned several new facts my first time through!
Older kids and adults will see the humor in “An Apology to My Prey” and “Bubble Song.” Who couldn’t laugh at,
Beautiful bubbles, bubbles of spume…
Butterfly Eyes and Other Secrets of the Meadow Homeschool Activities
#2 – Meadows and fields cover most or our country. Even some city parks will have meadow animals. Take a nature walk. See how many animals from the book you can spot. We use these handy nature guides whenever we are out and about. They are durable and the kids love looking through them discovering what could be out there. They have guides specific to region, and species as well as general guides.
#3 – Now that you are home, spend some time making up riddles of the animals or plants you spotted. Can you stump Dad? Mom? Big brother?
If you enjoyed these nature riddles here are a few more for you to enjoy!
- What Am I Poems: Nature Riddles by Steve Zavlek – This kids poetry book models acrostic poetry and nature riddles! After each riddle there is a create your own page! What a great keepsake!
- ABC Nature Riddles by Susan Joyce – A book for younger children with a riddle for each letter of the alphabet.
- The Wackiest Nature Riddles on Earth by Mike Artell – This is more of a joke book but still quite funny.
Picture Books Lists For Homeschooling For All Ages
Looking for more picture book resources for your homeschool? Download our printable library and book list below!
- Vulture View Homeschool Picture Book And Activities - September 30, 2021
- Dahlia Homeschool Picture Book And Activities - September 29, 2021
- How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World Picture Book And Activities - September 25, 2021