This month we are sharing 31 of our very favorite picture books for everyone. We have chosen kids’ books with vivid language, interesting stories and striking artwork to appeal to every person in your family.
Each book post also includes a few activities — some simple, some more involved — for your entire family to enjoy together. Or not! Reading the book is enough in itself if that is all you want to do.
As the weather grows cooler, snuggle up and enjoy a picture book or two together as a family. It may be the highlight of your day.
Picture Book Details
Book: Vulture View
Author: April Pulley Sayre
Illustrator: Steve Jenkins
A kids book about Vultures? Really? I hear you. Prepare to be surprised!
This rhyming day in the life book takes you with the Vultures as they hunt for food. But what kind of food? Giggles and laughs will follow as you read this book to your kids. Most certainly a rambunctious read aloud for any member of the family!
Steve Jenkins does it again. The illustrations in this book are bold, colorful and crisp. His artwork is unique and catches the eyes of my children as we read together.
Do More with Kids’ Books
Here in Alabama there are some who say that the vulture should be our state bird, we see so many of them. Somehow this book makes them more attractive. After all, I would rather see a vulture than a dead animal on the side of the road.
Vultures and other carrion eaters are important members of any food chain. Spend some time talking about food chains. My kids love to talk about who eats what. This can be done very informally as you read the book or you can use some of these resources for a mini unit if they show interest.
- Who Eats What? Food Chains and Food Webs by Patricia Lauber – Let’s read and find out science books are always great and this one is no exception.
- Hey Diddle Diddle: A Food Chain Tale by Pam Kapchinske – A cute sing song book about food chains for everyone!
- Ampersand Press Into the Forest, Nature’s Food Chain Game – This is on our Christmas list! Be sure to read the reviews as they offer different ways to play the game!
- A fun kids website with a cheesy but fun food chain game
Join us every day this month as we explore fun kids’ books and activities. Be sure to pin our landing page so you can find every post, or even better, sign up for our email list so you don’t miss a thing.
- How to Use Your Happy Planner to Organize Your Homeschool - August 28, 2017
- How to use a Happy Planner to Organize Your Homeschool Student - August 7, 2017
- Picture Books Aren’t Just for Preschoolers - March 13, 2017