These engaging and educational books are perfect for studying Ancient Greece in your homeschool. This booklist includes selections about Greek life and Greek mythology – everything you need for your homeschool ancient history lessons.
Our Favorite Books About Ancient Greece
This list of books are some of our absolute homeschooling favorites.
The Story of Antigone by Ali Smith is a marvelous retelling of a play by Sophocles. Antigone is faced with a moral dilemma; does she bury her brother and defy her uncle, the new king, or does she leave her brother to the crows and keep peace with the living authority? My children loved the illustrations and I loved the conversation seeded by this story.
A classic book for all lovers of myth and legends, D’Aulaires’ Book of Greek Myths never fails to disappoint. I remember staring at the illustrations in this book and daydreaming of the stories when I was a sixth grader. My favorite story was Persephone and Demeter. This book is my go to for Greek myths.
Gifts from the Gods: Ancient Words and Wisdom from Greek and Roman Mythology is a neat book explaining where expressions, such as “Achilles Heel” come from. A quick explanation followed by a short story make this book perfect for morning time!
For a simple yet comprehensive overview of ancient Greece, look no further than The Story of the Greeks by H. A. Guerber. Short chapters make this another perfect addition to Morning Time.
Before Homer thought of Odysseus, there was Jason and the Argonauts: The First Great Quest in Greek Mythology. This edition is particularly nice with illustrations reminiscent of D’Aulaires’ books.
Atalanta’s Race: A Greek Myth tells the story of a girl who forgot what the gods had done for her. She can’t outrun her fate forever!
For something a little different, turn to Echo Echo: Reverso Poems About Greek Myths. This intriguing poetry book is a fun way to explore Greek Myths.
While not exclusively about Greek constellations, Legends of the Stars: Myths of the Night Sky has plenty of star stories to satisfy both the budding astronomer and myth lover. I particularly like the layout of this book with the story of the star in a box, the constellation front and center, and other information nicely placed around the edges.
The Story of AntigoneD’Aulaires’ Book of Greek MythsGifts from the Gods: Ancient Words and Wisdom from Greek and Roman MythologyThe Story of the Greeks (Yesterday’s Classics)Jason and the Argonauts: The First Great Quest in Greek MythologyAtalanta’s Race: A Greek Myth by Shirley Climo (1995-04-24)Echo Echo: Reverso Poems About Greek MythsLegends of the Stars: Myths of the Night Sky
Fascinating Greek Mythology Books For Your Homeschool
Because so much of Greek history was not written the line often blurs between historical fact and Greek Mythology. In order to understand the culture and the people of Ancient Greece, you have to dive into both the true and the mythical. Here is a great place to start.
- King Midas and the Golden Touch by Charlotte Craft
- Greek Myths: Meet the heroes, gods, and monsters of ancient Greece by Jean Menzies
- The Hero and the Minotaur by Robert Byrd
- The Fate of Achilles by Bimba Landmann
- The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus by Aliki
- Pandora by Robert Burleigh
- Pegasus by Marianna Mayer
- Greek Myths by Marcia Williams
King Midas and the Golden TouchGreek Myths: Meet the heroes, gods, and monsters of ancient GreeceThe Hero and the MinotaurThe Fate of AchillesThe Gods and Goddesses of Olympus (Trophy Picture Books (Paperback))PandoraPegasusGreek Myths
More Ancient Greece Books For Your Learner
The beauty of Ancient Greece is since it has been around forever 😉 there are so many good books about the topics. From the Odyssey to non-fiction, new books and old, here are the most engaging Ancient Greece books for your kids.
- The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War by Emily Little
- The Odyssey by Gillian Cross
- The Iliad by Gillian Cross
- The Incredible Voyage of Ulysses by Bimba Landmann
- Off the Wall Museum Guides for Kids: Greek and Roman Art by Ruthie Knapp
- You Wouldn’t Want to Be a Slave in Ancient Greece! by Fiona MacDonald
- You Wouldn’t Want to Be a Greek Athlete! by Michael Ford
- The Ancient Greece of Odysseus by Peter Connolly
- The First Marathon: The Legend of Pheidippides by Susan Reynolds
- Our Little Spartan Cousin of Long Ago by Julia Darrow Cowles
- Our Little Athenian Cousin of Long Ago by Julia Darrow Cowles
- The Ancient Greeks by Imogen Greenberg
- Parthenon by Lynn Curlee
- Sparta!: Warriors of the Ancient World by John Green
- Spartans by Don McLeese
- Theras and His Town by Caroline Dale Snedeker
- The Trojan War by Olivia Colidge
- So You Think You’ve Got It Bad? A Kid’s Life in Ancient Greece by Chae Strathie
- Once Upon a Starry Night: A Book of Constellations by Jacqueline Mitton
The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War (Step into Reading)The OdysseyThe IliadThe Incredible Voyage of UlyssesOff the Wall Museum Guides for Kids: Greek and Roman ArtYou Wouldn’t Want to Be a Slave in Ancient Greece!You Wouldn’t Want to Be a Greek Athlete! (Revised Edition) (You Wouldn’t Want to…: Ancient Civilization)The Ancient Greece of Odysseus (The Ancient World)The First Marathon: The Legend of PheidippidesOur Little Spartan Cousin of Long Ago (Yesterday’s Classics)Our Little Athenian Cousin of Long Ago (Yesterday’s Classics)The Ancient Greeks (Discover…)ParthenonSparta!: Warriors of the Ancient World (Dover History Coloring Book)Spartans (Warriors Graphic Illustrated)Theras and His Town by Caroline Dale Snedeker (2005-05-03)The Trojan WarAtalanta’s Race: A Greek Myth by Shirley Climo (1995-04-24)So You Think You’ve Got It Bad? A Kid’s Life in Ancient EgyptOnce Upon a Starry Night: A Book of Constellations
Additional Homeschool Resources For Ancient Studies
Check out our Ancient History Morning Baskets. These lesson plan sets include not only books, but also art, music, poetry, and more to go with your ancient history studies.
Pair our book lists and plans with narration and you have the perfect history curriculum for your elementary and middle school students. Get yours today!
- Homeschooling High School: Everything You Need To Get Started - November 19, 2021
- Homeschooling Middle School: Everything You Need To Make The Transition - November 12, 2021
- Ancient Greece And Greek Mythology Books For Your Homeschool - November 11, 2021