Anne White is a mother of three, a long-time member of the Ambleside Online Advisory Board, and the author of numerous resources on the Greek-born Roman historian Plutarch. She joins us on this episode of the podcast to help us figure out how we might approach reading Plutarch with our kids during Morning Time.
Who was Plutarch? What did he write about? Why did Charlotte Mason consider him worthy of inclusion in her course of study? What can modern-day students hope to glean from learning about people and events from so long ago?
Anne answers these questions and so many more. She explains that the purpose of reading Plutarch is not to get bogged down in names and dates from ancient history, but rather to share stories with our children and, in doing so, to help them grow in virtue and character.
Anne shares how she herself did not understand Plutarch on her first reading, but began to enjoy him after additional reading and study. In sharing her story, Anne reminded me that I can be a fellow learner alongside my children as we approach subjects like these during Morning Time.
Listen along as Anne brings Plutarch to life!
Listen to the podcast
The Basket Bonus for today’s show is a printable procedure for how to conduct a Plutarch lesson. Enter your email to get access to the Basket Bonus library with this and other great Your Morning Basket printables.
Links and resources from today’s show:
- Dewey’s Treehouse
- Anne Writes
- Minds More Awake: The Vision of Charlotte Mason by Anne White
- The Plutarch Primer: Publicola by Anne White
- The Plutarch Project, Volume 1 by Anne White
- Plutarch guides on Ambleside Online
- Plutarch’s Lives on Project Gutenberg (Dryden translation)
- Plutarch’s Lives (North’s translation)
- The Boys’ and Girls’ Plutarch edited by John S. White
Leave a Rating or Review
Thank you for your interest in leaving a rating or review for Your Morning Basket on iTunes. Here’s how you do it:
- Click on this link to go to the podcast main page.
- Click on View in iTunes under the podcast cover artwork.
- Once your iTunes has launched and you are on the podcast page, click on Ratings and Review under the podcast name. There you can leave either or both! Thanks so much.
Ways to Listen to Your Morning Basket
Podcasts are radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. You don’t have to have an iPod or smartphone to listen.
- Listen right here on the blog. Click through to the site and click the little play button in this post.
- Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch. Subscribe via iTunes or Stitcher. I show you how to do that here.
- Subscribe to get updates. If you would like to receive our weekly newsletter, which will notify you whenever new episodes are released, you can subscribe right here.