Heather Woodie is not a new face around here. Last spring, as part of the Ultimate Guide to Homeschool Methods, she told us all about the unit study approach to homeschooling and why it has been a great fit for her family.
Today she gives us even more of a peek into her homeschool with four children, ranging from 5th grade all the way up through high school. She tells us what learning looks like in her house, where the emphasis is on tapping into her kids’ curiosity and creativity as they immerse themselves in authentic high-interest projects.
This interview gave me so much food for thought about my own approach to learning; I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Listen to the podcast
Links and resources from today’s show:
- Pam on Periscope with The Homeschool Snapshots Show
- Heather’s interview about Unit Studies for The Ultimate Guide to Homeschool Methods
- Blog, She Wrote
- Five in a Row
- Camp Creek Blog: Project Based Homeschooling
- The Snake Project
- Ten Ways to Use Ordinary Notebook Paper
- Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
- Night of the Moonjellies by Mark Shasha
- Project-Based Homeschooling by Lori Pickert
- Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome
Ways to Listen to The Homeschool Snapshots Podcast
Podcasts are radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. You don’t have to have an iPod or smart phone to listen.
- Listen right here on the blog. Click through to the site and click the little play button in this post.
- Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch. Subscribe via iTunes or Stitcher. I show you how to do that here.
- Subscribe to get updates. If you would like to receive our weekly newsletter, which will notify you whenever new episodes are released, you can subscribe right here.
If you are interested in leaving a rating or review for the podcast in iTunes — thank you!
Doing so helps me get the word out about the podcast. iTunes bases their search results on positive ratings, so it really is a blessing — and it’s easy!
- Click on this link to go to the podcast main page.
- Click on View in iTunes under the podcast cover artwork.
- Once your iTunes has launched and you are on the podcast page, click on Ratings and Review under the podcast name. There you can leave either or both! Thanks so much.
Feel free to leave a comment or question for either Heather or me. We would both love to hear from you!