HS 166: Homeschool Planning for Pregnancy and a Newborn with Amy Roberts
There is nothing that can more joyfully throw a homeschool year off balance than pregnancy and a new baby. Moms have so much to do already and now throw morning sickness, extreme fatigue, and a new born into the mix and homeschooling gets even harder.
Joining me today is mom of many Amy Roberts who knows a thing or two about homeschooling while pregnant and with a newborn. Amy gives us her best tips for planning a year that you know will be challenged by all these big changes. She is pulling out her best big family tips. Enjoy!
Thanks for sharing this homeschool planning podcast
Links and resources from today’s show:
- SPONSOR: Big Life Journal
- SPONSOR: Maestro Classics (Use coupon code pam for 17% off of your order)
- Big Life Journal Podcast
- Big Life Journal: A Growth Mindset Journal for Children
- Big Life Journal – Teen Edition: A Growth Mindset Journal for Tweens & Teens
- Amy’s Website, Raising Arrows
- Raising Arrows Podcast
- Large Family Homeschooling
- Home Management for the Homeschool Mom
- HSP 31 Amy Roberts: Homeschooling a Large Family
Homeschool Planning for Pregnancy Details:
[00:56] About Amy’s family
[03:02] What is year-round homeschooling?
[05:58] A typical pregnancy for Amy
[06:55] How Amy sets up her school year when she knows she is pregnant
[07:45] The flexibility of homeschooling
[09:20] Creating a plan so kids can work independently using tools like Evernote and Pinterest
[11:45] Building habits of independence in your kids
[14:57] What Amy doesn’t “front load” her homeschool work during the final weeks of pregnancy
[19:53] Keeping the curriculum simple to give kids time to pursue their passions
[20:36] What happens with a tough pregnancy or unexpected newborn situation?
[22:16] How to accept help with a newborn.
[26:05] The mom’s homeschool basket tool and how to use it when you have a newborn.
[27:58] The effect of multiple pregnancies on the older kids’ education.
[31:31] Amy’s favorite planning tools
Leave a Rating or Review
Doing so helps me get the word out about the podcast. iTunes bases their search results on positive ratings, so it really is a blessing — and it’s easy!
- Click on this link to go to the podcast main page.
- Click on View in iTunes under the podcast cover artwork.
- Once your iTunes has launched and you are on the podcast page, click on Ratings and Review under the podcast name. There you can leave either or both! Thanks so much.