Melissa Wiley is an author and a homeschool mom of 6 who blogs at Here in the Bonny Glen. Her novel, The Prairie Thief, is a big hit at my house, and I have a little Laura Ingalls fan who is just itching to check out her two series of books about Laura’s ancestors, The Martha Years and The Charlotte Years.
On this episode of the podcast, Melissa gives us a little peek into her school days and explains her unique philosophy, which she calls Tidal Homeschooling. This interview is full of inspiration for how we can foster an atmosphere of learning, creativity, joy, and relationship-building in our homes by recognizing and working within our own natural rhythms or “tides.” Enjoy!
Listen to the podcast
Sparkle creates original audio stories for kids and families. Their new website has almost 900 original stories — all of them delightful and funny and inspiring.
Links and resources from today’s show:
- Here in the Bonny Glen
- The Prairie Thief by Melissa Wiley
- The Martha Years by Melissa Wiley
- The Charlotte Years by Melissa Wiley
- Growing without Schooling
- Little Men by Louisa May Alcott
- Sandra Dodd on unschooling
- Pam Sorooshian on unschooling
- Nature Anatomy by Julia Rothman
- My First Human Body Book by Donald M. Silver and Patricia J. Wynne
- By the Great Horn Spoon by Sid Fleischman
- Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher
- Half Magic by Edward Eager
- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
- Journey North Mystery Class
- Harvest Moon Tree of Tranquility
The Prairie ThiefLittle House in the HighlandsLittle House by Boston BayLittle Men: Life at Plumfield with Jo’s Boys (Puffin Classics)Nature Anatomy: The Curious Parts and Pieces of the Natural WorldMy First Human Body Book (Dover Children’s Science Books)By the Great Horn Spoon!Understood BetsyHalf MagicThe Best Christmas Pageant EverHarvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility – Nintendo Wii
Ways to Listen to The Homeschool Snapshots Podcast
Podcasts are radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. You don’t have to have an iPod or smart phone to listen.
- Listen right here on the blog. Click through to the site and click the little play button in this post.
- Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch. Subscribe via iTunes or Stitcher. I show you how to do that here.
- Subscribe to get updates. If you would like to receive our weekly newsletter, which will notify you whenever new episodes are released, you can subscribe right here.
If you are interested in leaving a rating or review for the podcast in iTunes — thank you!
Doing so helps me get the word out about the podcast. iTunes bases their search results on positive ratings, so it really is a blessing — and it’s easy!
- Click on this link to go to the podcast main page.
- Click on View in iTunes under the podcast cover artwork.
- Once your iTunes has launched and you are on the podcast page, click on Ratings and Review under the podcast name. There you can leave either or both! Thanks so much.
Feel free to leave a comment or question for either Melissa or me. We would both love to hear from you!