We’re excited to be back with another episode of Your Morning Basket. In case you missed it, episode 1 featured a great introduction to the concept of Morning Time with Cindy Rollins. Now it’s time to get into the nuts and bolts of actually doing Morning Time.
On this episode of the podcast, Pam talks with Andrew Pudewa, director of the Institute for Excellence in Writing, about a key component of a rich Morning Time: recitation.
Andrew shares about the practice of committing beautiful language to memory, language such as what we find in poetry, Scripture, and famous speeches. He discusses how memorization and recitation affect the brain, and, most importantly, he gives plenty of good advice on how to get started. I hope you enjoy!
Listen to the podcast
If you are new to recitation and looking to get started or if you are just looking for another great poem to add to your memory work repertoire then you are going to love today’s Basket Bonus.
Today we have for you printable versions of three classic poems. We have divided the lines into manageable chunks to make it easy to see how you should use Andrew’s read and recited method. We have also included recorded MP3s of each selection that you can add to your media player for further practices.
Basket Bonus Episode 2
Links and resources from today’s show:
- Institute for Excellence in Writing
- Nurturing Competent Communicators
- The Chosen by Chaim Potok
- 1984 by George Orwell
- The Restoration of Christian Culture by John Senior
- Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization by Andrew Pudewa
- 100 Things for Kids to Memorize
- Help Your Kids Memorize Anything
Leave a Rating or Review
Thank you for your interest in leaving a rating or review for Your Morning Basket on iTunes. Here’s how you do it:
- Click on this link to go to the podcast main page.
- Click on View in iTunes under the podcast cover artwork.
- Once your iTunes has launched and you are on the podcast page, click on Ratings and Reviewunder the podcast name. There you can leave either or both! Thanks so much.
Ways to Listen to Your Morning Basket
Podcasts are radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. You don’t have to have an iPod or smartphone to listen.
- Listen right here on the blog. Click through to the site and click the little play button in this post.
- Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch. Subscribe via iTunes or Stitcher. I show you how to do that here.
- Subscribe to get updates. If you would like to receive our weekly newsletter, which will notify you whenever new episodes are released, you can subscribe right here.