Welcome to the Eight For Each State US Geography tour. I am so glad you are joining us.
Be sure to check out all of our US Geography resources to help you plan a complete study of the USA.
Alaska conjures up thoughts of snow, ice, glaciers, polar bears, beautiful lights in the sky, and Eskimos. Alaska is so far away from our very Southern home that it seems almost another world. This makes it especially fun to study. Of course the stories Grandma and Grandpa tell of living there help make it exiting too.
There are many books about Alaska for children. We have kept with the Discover America Sate by State books because we love them so much. However, here are a few more that are also good to look for.
- Once Upon Alaska: A Kid’s Photo Book by – The photographs in this book are stunning. The text is short and allows the reader to enjoy long looks at the beautiful Alaska landscape.
- Alaska by – The reviews on Amazon for this one make it a promising substitute for our favorite alphabet state books. I may try this one the next time we hit Alaska in a US Geography study.
2. Alaska Introductory Videos
I don’t know about you, but Alaska is not a state we may ever visit. I would like to, but it is very far away. For now, these videos help me and my children to experience what Alaska is like despite the distance.
3. Salmon Life Cycle
- Salmon Stream by – Beautifully illustrated picture book telling the life cycle of the salmon with a sing song text reminiscent of the song “A Hole in the Bottom of the Sea.”
- A King Salmon Journey by – Told from the point of view of one female King Salmon, this story takes you through the amazing journey of these fish returning to where they were born to lay eggs.
- Life Cycle Coloring Page – Color the life cycle, talk about the names of the stages and match them to the stories above.
- Life Cycle of Salmon
4. Moose Tracks Ice Cream
We went with easy for Alaska. Moose Tracks ice cream is a huge treat here. Because we have a peanut allergy I also picked up Bear Tracks which is also supper yummy!
If you are feeling up to it, and enjoy fish, try some Baked Salmon from The United States Cookbook.
5. Iditarod Race
Iditarod Race Map – A map on the official web site.
The Great Serum Race: Blazing the Iditarod Trail by – The race that started it all! A beautiful book about the race of mercy to deliver medicine to a town besieged by diphtheria.
Storm Run: The Story of the First Woman to Win the Iditarod Sled Dog Race by – A story for everyone on what it takes to win this great race.
Make a Sled – What fun! My girls love a project! I know we will enjoy this project.
6. Alaskan Natives
The Inuit of Alaska are different than any other Native American we have yet studied in our US Geography study. The climate and landscape of Alaska helped to form a unique culture.
- Make an Igloo – Use sugar cubes or use a cup with cotton balls or marshmallows glued to the outside to make an igloo.
- Make a Lapbook – A free resource for signing up!
Totem Tale by – A totem pole comes to life! What happens when it it is time to get back in line though? Can the creatures agree on who goes on top of whom?
- Alaskan Totem Pole Snack – This is a fun resource after exploring the many totem poles of Alaska
When I first saw this book several years ago I just knew we needed to add it to our library. It is one of the most beautifully illustrated books I have ever seen. We read it over and over again, enjoying the pictures and the lovely story about how one act of kindness changed the world.
Visit our 31 Days of Picture Books post on this book for more activities and resources.
8. Alaskan Wildlife
Alaska has amazing wildlife. Spend some time learning about the unique characteristics of animals who live in this harsh yet beautiful environment.
L Is for Last Frontier: An Alaska Alphabet (Discover America State by State)Once Upon Alaska: A Kid’s Photo BookAlaskaSalmon StreamA King Salmon JourneyThe United States Cookbook: Fabulous Foods and Fascinating Facts From All 50 StatesThe Great Serum Race: Blazing the Iditarod TrailTogoAkiak: A Tale From the IditarodPainter and UglyStorm Run: The Story of the First Woman to Win the Iditarod Sled Dog RaceTotem Tale: A Tall Story from Alaska (PAWS IV)The Blizzard’s RobeWildlife in Alaska: A Children’s Animal Picture Book (Big Kid Books)
What is your favorite thing about Alaska?
- Vulture View Homeschool Picture Book And Activities - September 30, 2021
- Dahlia Homeschool Picture Book And Activities - September 29, 2021
- How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World Picture Book And Activities - September 25, 2021