Nature Study In September: Lingering Summer
September brings the last glorious days of summer and warmth. Enjoy the outdoors this month as the season fades.
- honey ~ It’s National Honey Month!
- the autumn equinox (22)
- Full Corn Moon (29)
- peanut harvest
- Mums begin to bloom
Food And Family Life In September
I love Fall cooking more than any other season of the year. Apples, pumpkins, and cool weather favorites begin to take center stage.
- applesauce ~ homemade, with just a touch of cinnamon
- alphabet soup ~ for lunch on the first day of lessons
- make an apple pie
- homemade peanut butter
- biscuits drizzled in honey
- Kielbasa and Apple Pasta Bake
Faith Themes In The Month Of September: Ordinary Time Continues …
We love St. Michael so the Feast of the Archangels is a favorite here. “Defend us in battle…”
- The Birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary (8) – Enjoy one or more of these activities.
- The Feast of the Triumph of the Holy Cross (14) – Make cross-shaped cinnamon sticks for tea time today.
- Michaelmas/The Feast of the Archangels (29) – Make Devil’s Food cake! We like to top ours with St. Michael with his sword.
Books Perfect For September Learning
Don’t miss Fireboat in this lineup of wonderful fall selections.
- The Apple Pie Tree by Zoe Hall
- What Makes the Seasons? by Megan Montague Cash
- Growing Apples and Pumpkins by Amy and Richard Hutchings
- The Life and Times of the Apple by Charles Micucci
- The Honey Makers by Gail Gibbons
- Hurry and the Monarch by Antoine O Flatharta and Meilo So
- The Art Lesson by Tomie dePaola
- A Weed is a Flower by Aliki
- Curious George by HA Rey
- Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina
- Fireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey by Maira Kalman
The Apple Pie TreeWhat Makes the Seasons?Growing Apples and PumpkinsThe Life & Times Of The Apple (Orchard Paperbacks)The Honey MakersHurry and the MonarchThe Art Lesson (Paperstar Book)A Weed Is a Flower: The Life of George Washington CarverCurious George (Read-Aloud)Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler Some Monkeys and Their Monkey BusinessFireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey (Picture Puffin Books)
September Field Trips For Your Homeschool Study
Now is the time to get outside for those final warm park days of the season. This is also the time for apple picking (if you are blessed to have it).
- Visit the farmer’s market for late season harvest.
- The beach is perfect this time of year.
Crafts And Activities For September Learning
Some of my favorite authors are celebrated this month. And when the kids were little we always started school with a fresh batch of homemade scented play dough (or two!).
- Tell apple stories (find the stars inside).
- Make up a fresh batch of homemade play dough.
- Read A Weed is a Flower on Aliki’s birthday (3)
- Read poetry on Jack Prelutsky’s birthday (8)
- Grandparents Day (9) – Visit your own grandparents or someone else’s and make their day. All they want is a little company.
- Fly flag at half staff on Patriot’s Day (11)
- Make family hand cross (14) – Use the handprints of everyone in the family to form the shape of a cross.
- Read The Art Lesson on Tomie dePaola’s birthday (15)
- Read a Curious George book on HA Rey’s birthday (16)
- Watch for migrating monarch butterflies (17)
- Read Caps for Sale on Esphyr Slobodkina’s birthday (22)
- Read a few autumn poetry selections to mark the equinox
- Take an early autumn nature walk and picnic
More Monthly Themes
Want more monthly themes for your homeschool? Check out these other posts!