What quality makes a picture book memorable? What causes adults to pause and become lost in memory at a display in a bookstore window?
What makes a three-year-old return again and again with the same book clutched tightly for bedtime reading? What quality makes the grown-up eager to comply?
It’s an elusive thing, really, the qualities that bring a kids’ book to touch us, teach us, make us laugh. It’s something we are going to explore over the next 31 days.
We have chosen for you 31 picture books — books we felt were worthy to include and worthy to be read again and again. In no particular order, here are some of the criteria we used in our selection process.
- An enjoyable story. It might be funny, informative, or moving, but we looked for stories that offered enjoyment to readers of all ages.
- Compelling artwork. From interesting artistic techniques to bright and zany cartoons, we tried to find books where the artwork was just a little more than average.
- Read-aloud-ability. (Oh yes, I made that up.) Our goal was to find books easy and fun to read out loud and share as a family. Captivating rhythm and rhyme, alliteration, metaphor, word play — the best children’s books are as carefully crafted as the great literature.
- Appeal to a wide range of ages. We wanted kids’ books that adults wouldn’t mind reading again and stories that even the littlest ones will be interested in.
- Something new. While a few may be sprinkled in, you will find many wonderful classic picture books not on this list. We wanted to find some fresh choices and new ideas for you to enjoy.
Kids’ Book Activities
Each day we will introduce you to a new book with all the important info and a brief summary. In addition to telling you how the book charmed us, we will also provide three to five activities that might be fun to do after reading the book.
While there will be a sprinkling of crafts, we tried to focus our choices on a variety of options like videos, companion book selections, and the occasional learning activity.
Day 1: A Frog in the Bog
Day 2: The Blizzard’s Robe
Day 3: Do YOU Have a Hat?
Day 5: God Gave Us Heaven
Day 6: Aliens Love Underpants
Day 7: Red Berry Wool
Day 8: The Minpins
Day 9: East Dragon, West Dragon
Day 10: Who Wants Arthur?
Day 11: Fannie in the Kitchen
Day 12: Noah’s Ark
Day 13: Sleep Big Bear, Sleep!
Day 14: Spring Thaw
Day 15: One Giant Leap
Day 16: Ben’s Trumpet
Day 18: Salt in His Shoes
Day 19: The Story of Creation
Day 20: Dogger
Day 21: Volcano Wakes Up
Day 22: The Pencil
Day 23: Sleep Like a Tiger
Day 24: Edgar Allan Poe’s Pie
Day 26: The Miracles of Jesus
Day 27: Pumpkin Jack
Day 28: Leaf Trouble
Day 29: Dahlia
Day 30: Beautiful Oops
Day 31: Vulture View
As the fall weather grows cooler, snuggle up with a good book and something fun to do. Be sure to pin this post, as each day we will add another book to the list of new favorites we create right here. Or better yet, subscribe by email so you never miss a thing.
- Five Steps to a Fabulous Summer Plan - May 14, 2021
- Enchanted Journey Summer Reading Program - May 7, 2021
- How to get the most out of your homeschool convention - March 4, 2021